Iranian Instagram star look like actress Angelina Jolie ‘arrested for blasphemy’


A teenage Iranian Instagram influencer who made news for supposedly undergoing over 50 surgeries to look like actress Angelina Jolie has been arrested for blasphemy, CNN reports, citing Iran's semi-official Tasnim News Agency.

The user, who goes by Sahar Tabar on Instagram but was identified as Fatemeh Kh by Iranian media, was apprehended after complaints about her were made to the prosecutor's office. She has been accused of inciting violence, illicit education, blasphemy, insulting the Islamic veil, promoting hatred and encouraging her peers to commit corruption.

In 2017, the Iranian teenager went viral after she posted photos of herself resembling a zombified Jolie. Images show her with colored contacts, sunken cheeks, a weirdly upturned nose and overblown lips. Several outlets reported that she had purposely weighed just 88 pounds at the time in an attempt to look like the celebrity.

In an interview with Russian news agency Sputnik, however, Sahar Tabar shot down speculations by claiming that her appearance was the result of both Photoshop and makeup.

"Every time I publish a photo I make my face more fun," she said. "It is my way of self expression, a kind of art. My followers know that this is not my real face."

She also said she had not intended to look like Jolie or even Emily the Corpse Bride from the 2005 stop-motion film "Corpse Bride."

"I understand that I do have some similarities with them, but I am my own muse and I did not want to look like anyone," she said. "That was not my aim."

The teenager, who admitted to having just a handful of plastic surgeries that included lip and nose enlargement, was previously detained last year for posting videos of herself dancing to Western music on Instagram, CNN notes. Instagram is the only major social media platform that is not blocked in Iran.

Comments